[Samba] cached logons

Francesc Guasch frankie at etsetb.upc.edu
Wed Jun 13 08:57:09 GMT 2007

Hi. I can't do cached logons in our new samba server.

I had a dead crashed W2k server quickly replaced by samba-3.
That meant create a new domain, restore backups and add all the
PCs to the domain. It was impossible to ressurrect the old MS server.

Anyway I'm facing a problem about cached logons. There is no way
to make it work. I've been reading all the entries in the mailing
list archives and MS information about it unsuccessfully.

First of all, some people said in the archives that samba can't
do cached logons, that's later refuted by people who log all
the summer in a networkless computer. So it looks it should work.

Is there something required in the samba server to make it work ?
We have no ldap. Remote profiles were allowed the first day
but now it is turned off.

I've checked the registry here. It was 10 now 50. Nothing changed.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon\

   ValueName: CachedLogonsCount
   Data Type: REG_SZ
   Values: 0 - 50

The former windows admin said he changed nothing to make it work in
w2k. It just worked.

Clients are Windows XP.
Server is a debian etch, samba-3.0.24-6. An extract from smb.conf:

    [global]
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	passdb backend = tdbsam
	logon script = \usuari\%U.bat