[Samba] Samba topography question joining with ADS?

George Farris farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca
Mon Jun 11 22:39:33 GMT 2007

I have the current situation and am trying to figure out which way is
the best approach.

Our organization has two domains, REMOTE and LOCAL
 REMOTE  - remotely located Active Directory, Windows 2003
 LOCAL   - local Samba 3.0.x, Linux server

I have computer labs and students that would like to login to REMOTE and
also local accounts that need LOCAL.

There is no way to have a WinXP station belong to two domains.  So...

If we moved everything onto the REMOTE domain, could Samba be setup with
tdbsam or LDAP and windbind to authenticate local accounts, with a local
home directory and local roaming profile while also allowing students to
login via windbind and connect to their remote home and profile?

I have tried this but have so far not had any success.  I have a
Kerberos ticket and have joined the Samba machine to REMOTE.  I can then
connect a WINXP station to remote and login.  I can even set the home
directory in AD to the local Samba machine which works.

What doesn't work.

1) Local accounts   - can't get Samba to authenticate a local account.

Are local accounts possible in this situation?

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College

As with the rail barons of the past:
"There is no reason why the computer industry should have to put up
with 'private standards' any longer. The word 'incompatible' is a
dirty word. It's time to run those who insist on using it out of the
business."