[Samba] Re: 3.0.25a closing network drive connections?

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 21:21:20 GMT 2007

On 6/7/07, Josh Kelley <joshkel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Since upgrading from 3.0.24 to 3.0.25a this past weekend, network
> drive connections are randomly being closed and immediately reopened.
> This creates "Delayed write failed" errors for Firefox and
> Thunderbird, various errors for Outlook with its PST files on network
> drives, and errors from programs like InDesign that "The network
> connection was lost for the file, or the file was modified by another
> process."
>
> I have a level 9 debug log from my computer when this happened.  (I
> tried level 10 logs, but they ate up too much disk and rotated too
> fast.)  Here are the relevant lines, from what I can tell:

I've done some more investigating and managed to get a couple of level
10 debug logs from affected clients.  I had originally wondered if
this might be a networking issue, but I'm now pretty certain that it's
a Samba issue.  Each time the problem happens, from what I can tell
from looking at the logs, the server sends the client a message as
usual (reply_ntcreate_and_X in two instances, reply_ntcreate_and_X
then call_nt_transact_notify_change (?) in another), then it tries and
fails to read the next message:

[2007/06/08 14:02:21, 10] lib/util_sock.c:read_data(525)
  read_data: read of 4 returned 0. Error = Success
[2007/06/08 14:02:21, 10] lib/util_sock.c:receive_smb_raw(672)
  receive_smb_raw: length < 0!
[2007/06/08 14:02:21, 3] smbd/process.c:timeout_processing(1328)
  timeout_processing: End of file from client (client has disconnected).

Is anyone else seeing similar problems?  Should I open a Bugzilla or
post the full debug logs here?

Josh Kelley