[Samba] Access Windows AD share From Linux

Kenneth R Leach kleach2 at csc.com
Mon Jun 11 12:05:14 GMT 2007

I am trying to mount and access a Windows share, from one of our Active
Directory servers to one of our RedHat Enterprise 4 Linux hosts. I have
used Samba in the past to do the opposite, which worked very well.

I was successful in mounting the share, using the following:

mount -t smbfs -o username=<myid>,password=<mypassword> //<AD
Server>/<Share> /mnt/app1

However, when I "cd" into the "/mnt/app1" directory and try to list the
contents I get a "Permission Denied" error.

I am unable to allow an AD trust with the Linux client to the AD domain,
so any solution cannot require joining the Linux host to the AD domain.

Thank You.

Kenneth R. Leach
Computer Sciences Corporation
100 Decadon Dr.