[Samba] Vista client / Linux server - high browsing latency

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 02:14:00 GMT 2007

> > Do you map the drive using the samba servers computername or it's
> > IP-address
> By IP address to bypass the name resolution system.

In another message the user states: "By browsing performance, I just
mean the speed of listing directories and files on the mapped drive."

So this is not about network browsing, name resolution, etc...

> > Try these settings
> > domain master = Yes
> > local master = Yes
> > preferred master = Yes
> > os level = 65
> > wins support = yes
> No change, latency between packet requests (see my other post) remains
> the same.
> > If you want you can try these too.
> > socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
> No change.

Since the user states "An XP Pro installation on the same client has no
problem with performance." I don't see any need to change any settings
on the Samba server.  The problem is on the client or with the clients
configuration;  since XP and 2000 work.

I'd recommend disabling IPv6, the firewall(s), etc... to see if you can
make any change to client performance.

Perhaps this article can help -
 - but maybe not. :)

We have a largish Samba network with a Samba PDC (only one real Windows
server) and we've had Vista laptops used in our conference areas and
they've had no problems [so far] accessing our network resources.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com