[Samba] Samba and Vista?

Aravinda Guzzar aguzzar at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 07:46:19 GMT 2007

Hi Marc,

I just read the "latest news" section of samba.org

 4 June 2007 Port 25 on Samba, IPV6, and
Interoperability<http://news.samba.org/users/port25_holder/> by
Dr David Holder

Which talks about the Vista and samba compatibility. This is basically talks
about how Samba works with IPv6.

Go throught the PDF to understand the current support for IPv6 for samba.

Vista has a full fledged support for IPv6 and NetBIOS name resolution on the
port 137 only works on the IPv4.

Apart from that see whether microsoft's implementation of "Link-local
Multicast Name Resolution" (LLMNR) has got anything to do with your problem.

I am not sure what settins is required to make vista work seemlessly with
IPv4 though.

Aravinda
(Views expressed here are my personal opinion ONLY)