[Samba] "not enough storage is available to process this command" error

Carl Brewer carl at bl.echidna.id.au
Fri Jun 8 23:58:49 GMT 2007

Hello,
I have a Samba 3.0.24 server running on a NetBSD 3.1 (i386)
box, which has been very reliable for a long time, but
recently started to occasionally show the following error on PC's
connected to it running XP Pro and AutoDesk (AutoCAD) files:

z:\ is not available
Not enough storage is available to process this command

log.smbd shows this when it happens :

[2007/06/08 10:01:50, 0] lib/util.c:Realloc(1036)
   Memory allocation error: failed to expand to 4136 bytes
[2007/06/08 10:01:50, 0] lib/util.c:Realloc(1036)
   Memory allocation error: failed to expand to 4136 bytes

The server currently has 512MB of RAM and runs a few other
apps as well (squid, IPF, sendmail, it's a general LAN server). It
has loads of swap space available (~4GB)

Would that error suggest that I need to increase the memory limits that
NetBSD is imposing on the smbd process?  I think NetBSD
limits processes by default to 128MB.  These CAD files are
big (upwards of 1 GB), but they load ok, it's only when
the users are manipulating them that the problem occurs.  I
think autoDesk writes to files a lot, but don't really know
much about what it does.  I don't have a snapshot
of the memory footprint of smbd at the time, and it'll be a
bit tricky to get one quickly (the site isn't close to
me, and they're closed all weekend).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Carl