[Samba] Samba and Vista?

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Fri Jun 8 17:59:42 GMT 2007

I just purchased a new HP laptop running Vista Home Premium on it,
turned it on and was able to get it to connect to the Internet through
my home wireless network. But when I tried to see other computers on my
network I got nadda... One of my computers is running Win2K so perhaps
that is understandable, one XP Pro which I don't understand why Vista
can't see it, and three of my computers are running SuSE Linux 10.1 and
10.2 with Samba servers.  All of my computers can see the Vista laptop,
and mount shares from it, so that part of Samba on the Linux machines
seems to be working fine.

Doing a bit of research into this problem I discovered that Microsoft
has implemented a network protocol called Link Layer Topology Discovery
(LLTD) that is suppose to allow a Vista computer to discover the
services provided by other computers on a network. I wonder - does Samba
support this and if so do I have to do anything special to turn on
support for this protocol? I looked through the SWAT settings for Samba
and could find no mention of this protocol. SWAT reports I am running
version 3.0.22-13.18-SUSE-CODE10 if that helps, perhaps I need a newer
version of Samba?

Thanks for any help/advice offered...   Marc...