[Samba] Re: Join Linux client to Samba PDC domain

Henrik Zagerholm henke at mac.se
Fri Jun 8 08:11:25 GMT 2007

7 jun 2007 kl. 21:19 skrev Matt:

>> Now I want the same thing in a different environment
>> CentOS Samba PDC in domain mode and LDAP
>> Windows XP and Vista clients joined to the Samba domain
>> Linux File Server (which I don't know how to configure)
>> So I want all the Windows clients to be able to access the shares on
>> my LInux File Server but I want my CentOS Samba PDC to handle the
>> authentication with Singel-Sign-On style.
>>
>> How would I configure my Linux Files server? security = domain,
>> server, or?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Henrik
>
> Hi Henrik,
>
> I just did a similar thing setting up an AIX file server with a
> Linux-based
> Samba PDC.  I'm pretty sure you want to set the Linux file server
> up as a domain
> member server:
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/domain-
> member.html

> You're right on with security=domain.  Then you just have to add
> the LDAP admin
> stuff to the samba config and secrets database (i.e. smbpasswd -w
> [LDAP admin
> passwd goes here], net rpc getsid [domain name here], net rpc join
> -Uroot%[password goes here]) and a few other config steps outlined
> in the link I
> put above...
>
> Hopefully that gets you started int he right direction.
>
> -Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that input. Exactly what I was looking for. Darn I though
I skimmed through the docs but I guess I didn't know to look for
Member server configuration.
And it looks like I can use winbind too! Cool :). Thought that
winbind was only meant to work in an MS ADS environment but I guess I
can use it in an Samba domain also.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
henrik