[Samba] Domain and Unix permissions

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jpb at bordengrammar.kent.sch.uk
Thu Jun 7 20:13:43 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have a question about setting permissions on files and folders in
Samba versions that differentiate between the two.

Groups are mapped via net groupmap indicating that setting the UNIX
group permissions on a directory will be mapped across to the relevant
NT Group but how are UNIX users mapped. I ask because on my LDAP
backended Samba 3.0.23c server I can access folders when the Windows XP
properties box says their owned by unix user fred (Unix User/fred) when
logged in to an XP box as  (NTDOMAIN/fred). Are the two automatically
mapped to each other via Samba/LDAP or do I have to set ACLs up using
smbcacls?

I've read the relevant sections in the By Example and Howto guides but
would like clarification before continuing.

Cheers,

jools