[Samba] Correct method to Join Domain ????

Mike Rushton mrushton at epix.net
Fri Jun 8 01:37:49 GMT 2007

I am testing w/ a PC loaded w/ Centos 5 and Samba (whatever version it
came with)

I have not had any luck with connecting WinXP clients to it (or anything
for that matter)

I think my problems stem from not joining the domain correctly.

What is the proper method for Win XP or WIn 2K .  When I get a chance I
am gonna connect a PC to my test network.

To join a domain, you would need (at least for NT)

Name of Domain
Admin account
Password for admin account
A unique Network Name for the PC.

And you typically (at least thru XP) right click on the Computer Icon, >
Properties > Network and Join the domain or change machine name to get on.

What do you do for Limux / Samba ???

You need,

root account, ???
root password ???
Uniique machine name ???
Do you try to join domain is same manner or is there a config file you
got to edit  ???

Any help or advice is welcome.