[Samba] Performance tweaking for lots of files

Jeroen Akershoek jeroen at filmmore.nl
Thu Jun 7 09:57:12 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> You're running into the classic "too many files per directory"
> problem with emulating case insensitivity on a POSIX filesystem.
>
> See this post for details on fixing it :
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2005-February/039408.html
>
> It's in the main codebase now, so should apply to your situation.

Hmm, not exactly I'm afraid. Should've clarified a bit more I suppose

First, this assumes all the same case (upper or lower), which isn't,
well, the case.
Second, we've got a whole dir-structure with just a few hundred files
per directory. The dir structure looks a bit like this

projectname/tape###/shot###/frame#######.dpx

with the # being a digit 0-9, zero-padded. The files are about 8 - 12MB
in size and usually between 100 and 1000 files per shot, but go up to,
and sometimes beyond, 100000 files in total for a copy-job to firewire disks

Kind regards,
  Jeroen

--
Jeroen Akershoek - Systems Engineer
Filmmore - Entrepotdok 66, 1018AD Amsterdam

Join the dark side... we have cookies!