[Samba] managing permissions from windows (is it possible?)

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 23:18:50 GMT 2007

On 6/4/07, Pramod Venugopal <pramod at dvnull.org > wrote:

> Well this is how I have my setup:
>
> I installed Samba/LDAP after following the idealx guide.
>
> My user is a member of Domain Admins and in the smb.conf I have the
> following:
>
> admin users = @"Domain Admins"
> winbind use default domain = yes
> nt acl support = yes

Thanks. I after enabling ACLs on a single share to test I have found out a
few things. The properties resetting problem appears to happen if the unix
group is the same as the group that you change permissions on. After that I
had the problem of SIDs appearing in the XP properties dialog instead of the
real name. After upgrading from 3.0.24 to 3.0.25a and installing winbind
this time that problem was fixed as well so it seems that winbind is
required for this to work correctly. I do still have one problem as wbinfo
-g works as expected but wbinfo -u returns no results also. net rpc info
tells me I have no domain users. This seems weird because the 50+ users I
have work fine in the domain...

John