[Samba] Performance tweaking for lots of files

Jeroen Akershoek jeroen at filmmore.nl
Fri Jun 1 14:25:44 GMT 2007

Hullo,

I'm looking for performance-tweaking of our samba server (linux,
RHES4-based). Looking around on the internet I found plenty of things
that stated 'the usual' things (buffer-sizes, nodelay, logging to a
minimum, etc), but nothing that actually seems to work. We usually have
directory structures with many thousands (up to 100k or more) of
relatively small files (around 10MB each) and whatever I try, it goes
pretty damn slow. I'm getting about 1 file every second, which comes
down to somewhere between 50 and 100Mbit (and we've got a gigabit network).

The files are on a StorNext filesystem that usually has no problem
delivering 300MB/sec or more, so that shouldn't be a problem. Netperf
also has no problems filling the lines, so that works as well.

Anybody have any suggestions on getting things faster, or at least to
check what's going wrong?

Kind regards,
  Jeroen

--
Jeroen Akershoek - Systems Engineer
Filmmore - Entrepotdok 66, 1018AD Amsterdam

Join the dark side... we have cookies!