[Samba] msdfs root problems even after a reboot?

Josh Kelley joshkel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:34:33 GMT 2007

We upgraded from Samba 3.0.24 to 3.0.25a over the weekend and rebooted
all of our clients afterwards.  Since then, some of our clients are
randomly getting the following error:

"Configuration information could not be read from the domain
controller, either because the machine is unavailable, or access has
been denied."

Unmapping and mapping the network drive fixes the problem, but one of
the other admins in our office reports that after remapping a drive,
it worked for a while, then the problem came back.

Wireshark says that when the client generates this error, it's sending
a GET_DFS_REFERRAL to the server, and the server is replying with a
STATUS_NOT_FOUND.

This sounds to me like the result of the change to "msdfs root = no"
in Samba 3.0.25, but it seems that rebooting and even remapping
network drives isn't necessarily fixing the problem for us.  Any
ideas?

Josh Kelley