[Samba] managing permissions from windows (is it possible?)

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:52:15 GMT 2007

> If you have ACL support for the filesystem, and Samba has been
> compiled with ACL support then yes. I have Samba 3.0.23c running on
> Centos, ext3 filesystem mounted with ACL support and I can do this
> from the Shares Section in the Computer Management MMC.

I did not know I could do that. Thanks for the info.

I have that problem and a second related problem. With the MMC or the
properties dialog the groups that are displayed are only Admistrators
(SERVER\Administrators), Everyone, and Users(SERVER\Administrators) for all
shares even if in Unix the group is set to HonestBrokers which is a valid
windows and unix group. Also like the original poster all the permissions
boxes are unchecked no matter what their real values are. I am using a samba
3.0.24 PDC with LDAP. Also the windows groups and the linux groups are the
same thing. Will enabling ACL get the groups in these windows property boxes
to be the ones seen in linux? Or do I need to use winbind?

Thanks,
John