[Samba] Debian Etch bug? Was -> Re: Not seeing the expected group memberships with ifmember.exe /list

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Mon Jun 4 02:47:20 GMT 2007

Greetings List-

It has been a long weekend... we have tried many things. It seems "something" is up with the 3.0.24-1 and -2 packages for Debian Etch that Debian put out.

We installed the old hard drive in the mobile test server (aka ThinkPad) which still had Debian Sarge on it. Purged the Samba packages, and installed the packages of 3.0.24 from samba.org. Following
the exact same steps, we end up with the expected permissions / memberships / etc...

Also failing with the Etch server were assigning permission to a "special user" account for joining machines to the domain, and also assigning print admin permissions to the "Domain Admin" group.

Those commands were successful with the Sarge hard drive.

So, just a general heads up... something smelling fishy with Debian Etch.

Since we have a workable solution, we plan on demoing on Debian Sarge, and also installing Ubuntu 7.04 server on the HDD with Debian Etch on it currently... and maybe do the presentation with Ubuntu
if successful.

fffeeeewwww.... (and it is only 22:45!)

--
Michael Lueck