[Samba] Name mangling problem

John T. Guthrie III guthrie at counterexample.org
Mon Jun 4 00:00:31 GMT 2007

Hello all,

I am exporting my linux home directory to my XP machine using
samba-3.0.24-4.fc5.  Some of the files in my mp3 subdirectory are showing
up mangled.  When I try to set

mangled names = no

on my share, then the files stop being mangled, but the files that were
mangled before are no longer accessible.  The mangling is inconvenient
because what will often happen is that one or two of the files in the middle
of an album will get mangled, thus separating those files in the filelist from
all of the others.  I don't know if it makes a difference, but I have ~500
files in my mp3 directory.  Which files get mangled does seem to be somewhat
random.  None of the files have the same name, although there are multiple
groups of files that all have start with the same 10-30 characters.  I do not
have any older clients.  Is there some way to tell samba that it can assume
that all of the clients can handle long filenames?

I have tried several settings, but nothing seems to work.

My samba server is running FC5 with samba 3.0.24-4.  I am running XP service
pack 2 on my XP machine.

Thank you very much in advance.

Sincerely,

John Guthre