[Samba] Re: [Bulk] Trying to mount a Linux share on Windows

Szabolcs Szakacsits szaka at sienet.hu
Sat Jun 2 12:13:51 GMT 2007

> > > You can mount Linux file systems on Windows you just have to have the
> > > right utilities to do so. Linux supports NTFS (NTVFS is another
> > > matter) with ntfs-3g now.
> >
> > So for instance, I could take a partition on a Windows server (NTFS)
> > and share it using Samba instead of the Windows share service?
>
> You could probably make it work, but that would be insane.

Many dual booters do it, so their peers can't notice if they are using
Windows or Linux, read/write works just fine.

But I also wouldn't recommend it for servers since ntfs-3g isn't optimized
yet. Nevertheless some people still use it on servers.

We've met only one problem half year ago when ActiveSync didn't work with
small files because Samba 4 incorrectly marked them as sparse. Luckily we
could find a workaround for the issue in ntfs-3g which is included in the
ntfs-3g stable releases.

Regards,
	Szaka