[Samba] policy files

Dmitri Colebatch dim at colebatch.com
Fri Jun 1 23:22:40 GMT 2007

Hi again,

I've now got this all working, and thought I'd outline what I did for
others:

On 6/1/07, Adam Tauno Williams <adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for the tip - I think half my problem is I'm not exactly sure
> what
> > I'm looking for.
>
> ADM files and POLEDIT.EXE

With that piece of information I found http://www.zisman.ca/poledit/ where I
downloaded poledit from.  When you run it on an XP machine it complains that
it cant find files in c:\windows\inf - this makes perfect sense as they
don't exist.  Ignore those errors and in the Options menu select Policy
template.  From there remove the missing policy files, and open the one you
want (I used custom.adm from http://www.pcc-services.com/custom_poledit.html.
>From there its simply a matter of File -> New Policy.  Double-click on
Default User and modify the policy as you want.  Then File -> Save as
\\sambaserver\netlogon\ntconfig.pol and it will be used when you logon.

I hope this is useful for someone else as well.  Thanks a heap to Adam for
pointing out where I was going wrong, and for putting up with my windows
questions on the samba list.

cheers,
dim