[Samba] Domain and local user permissions

Julian Pilfold-Bagwell jools at oss4all.plus.com
Tue Jul 31 16:38:54 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the seperation of domain and local permissions.

I have a Samba PDC and BDC setup with three member servers
authenticating from them. I've set all the boxes up to use nss_ldap for
the Posix side so that all the groupmapping between domain and unix
groups across the servers is consistent. All seems to be fine but I
can't find any info about setting domain user permissions. When I create
a folder or file, I can view the permissions in the Windows properties
but these show the owner to be "Unix User\username" instead of "Domain
User\username" in Windows. I can set the permissions correctly via
Windows but pre Samba 3.0.8 (as shown in the docs), chowning a file in
Linux would show as a change to the Windows domain account.

Is MMC the easiest way to set domain user permissions with the new setup
or can I do it easily from a Linux terminal.

Thanks,

Julian PB