[Samba] AD login strangeness

Weiner, Michael weinerm at ccf.org
Tue Jul 31 20:08:15 GMT 2007

Dear list readers -

I have been googling for an answer for sometime now and have come up
with nothing that is seemingly helpful but I need to correct an error. I
have a samba server running on a Solaris 8 server and a month ago setup
a domain user the rights to access it, using her AD credentials to
authenticate and get into the share. Today, I get an email from her
stating that it no longer lets her in, keeps popping up and prompting
her for a login, etc, and when I look I find the following in the log
file:

[2007/07/31 15:40:17, 1] lib/util_sock.c:get_peer_name(1188)
  Gethostbyaddr failed for 10.76.83.48
[2007/07/31 15:40:17, 2] lib/access.c:check_access(323)
  Allowed connection from 10.76.83.48 (10.76.83.48)
[2007/07/31 15:40:17, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(799)
  setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close
all old resources.
[2007/07/31 15:40:17, 2] smbd/sesssetup.c:setup_new_vc_session(799)
  setup_new_vc_session: New VC == 0, if NT4.x compatible we would close
all old resources.

I have no idea what this error is indicating to be honest, having not
seen it in the past and been googling in an effort to fix whatever is
broken. I cant tell which side is really having the error (the windows
machine, AD server, or samba server). Has anyone seen this before? What
does this error mean (the last two entries in particular)? I have
restarted the nscd daemon as this has caused some problems in the past
with cached data, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here.

Any ideas/help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance

 Michael Weiner |  Lead Analyst  |  Lerner Research Institute
 Cleveland Clinic  |  9500 Euclid Ave.   |  Cleveland, OH 44195  | (216)
445-7454

in America by U.S. News & World Report (2007).
locations.