[Samba] 'Got user' is blank, can't authenticate

dougs at urbitter.com dougs at urbitter.com
Tue Jul 31 12:44:15 GMT 2007

Hello,

I have a working samba PDC with an old version of samba.  I'm moving
this to a new server.  I've taken the old server off the net and
rebooted all windows clients.  All further comments are related to the
new server.

I'm running samba 3.10 with LDAP back end.

I can log into the linux console as test-user and the ldap/pam
configuration works fine.

I can access the samba shares from a windows client as test-user, not
logging into the domain, and all accesses work correctly on all shares

When I attempt to log into the windows client using the domain served
by this samba pdc, I get no username in the log file, and I can't log
into the domain.

[2007/07/31 07:04:21, 3] libsmb/ntlmssp.c:ntlmssp_server_auth(615)
   Got user=[] domain=[] workstation=[CREVASSE] len1=1 len2=0

and

   check_ntlm_password:  Checking password for unmapped user
[]\[]@[CREVASSE] with the new password interface
[2007/07/31 07:04:21, 3] auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(222)
   check_ntlm_password:  mapped user is: [EFOS]\[]@[CREVASSE]

I figure I've missed something simple but I can't find anybody on the
net with a blank username, thanks in advance.

doug