[Samba] Vista roaming profiles

Andy Smith andrew at andrewsmith.plus.com
Mon Jul 30 22:12:38 GMT 2007

Hi All,

I've happily had Samba (3.0.24) operating as DC for my Win2k/XP network for
years. I've just upgraded to Vista and eveything seems to be working fine
(shares, domain logons) apart from roaming profiles. Just after logging on,
the following error appears in a bubble from the system tray:

"Your user profile was not loaded correctly!
You have been logged on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this
profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details
or contact your administrator."

And the event log shows 'User Profile Service' event no '1521':

"Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile
will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused
by network problems or insufficient security rights.
DETAIL - The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Here's what I understand so far...

After a bit of googling I discovered that vista sticks a '.v2' extension on
the end of the profile folder path as 2k/xp profiles are not compatible with
vista. So, instead of reading the profile from \\alpha\profiles\andy, vista
will use \\alpha\profiles\andy.v2. So, I created a folder 'andy.v2' in my
profiles folder, set the correct permissions and tried again. Same error.

I'm now stumped and cannot find any other resources about this. Can anyone
shed any light on whats wrong and how to fix it, or point me in the
direction of some useful info?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

My smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = OMEGA
        interfaces = 192.168.100.1/24
        passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://127.0.0.1:390/
        log level = 1
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
        add user script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
        add group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u"
"%g"
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon drive = z:
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        wins support = Yes
        ldap admin dn = cn=samba,ou=DSA,dc=omega,dc=lan
        ldap delete dn = Yes
        ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
        ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
        ldap passwd sync = Yes