[Samba] SSO across multiple physical subnets

Carlos Rivera-Jones carlos at sinu.com
Mon Jul 30 12:32:08 GMT 2007

I assume the remote VPNs are full tunnels, and that you can ping any of the computers in any of the networks from any of the networks.

You should create trust relationships among all of the domains, along with permissions that allow logons and file access cross-domain - an important omission in the documentation. Search google with - "trust relationship" site:samba.org -.

You will also want wins running on all servers, and that each server calls the others and allows calls from the servers. This is also documented.

The key with the laptop users is to logon first to the home domain. This caches the profile password, and as long as the password is not changed (in either side) while the home server is unavailable, everything will be OK. Assuming 2000, XP, and/or Vista clients, of course.

(You might also want to consider an LDAP backend with master/slave relationships among them, but this is highly complex and error prone if you are not an LDAP expert.)

I run similar complex setups without a problem, the key is to make sure the smb.conf has the wins and subneting info in place, that the trust relationships work, and that permissions are set correctly.

It does require some planning, an quite an amount of rote work, but all the documentation is right there in samba.org.

This is done pretty much in the same way it was done in NT4, so any docus/flowcharts you find for NT4 apply to samba.

Samba howto/docs + NT4 charts = easiest way

Thanks,

Carlos