[Samba] Can't see more than 8 files? MTU-ish issue?

Howard Jones howard.jones at network-i.net
Fri Jul 27 12:36:05 GMT 2007

Howard Jones wrote:
> A colleague is working with a Samba installation where Windows clients
> are accessing the server over a VPN. They are seeing an issue where a
> share is visible, but if a directory contains more than 8 files, they
> get an error.
>
> The VPN is set to allow everything in both directions. Windows->Window
> sharing does work OK across the link, as do other large file transfers
> (NFS, FTP). The Samba connections work OK locally, and if the firewalls
> are replaced with a router (the two 'sites' were original local for
> testing), then the problem goes away. However, the firewall policy
> doesn't limit anything (and wouldn't it break Windows too?)

Just for the archive, the final solution appears to be the following config in the netscreens to enable path MTU discovery, and alter the maximum segment size for VPNs:
  set flow path-mtu
  set flow tcp-mss 1452

I'm still unclear on why this affects the samba session but not the windows->windows session, or FTP, or NFS, but there you are.

Howie