[Samba] smbclient and netbios disabled question

Frederic Descamps fred at x-tend.be
Fri Jul 27 06:48:06 GMT 2007

Hello,

I've a (maybe stupid?) question, can I use smbclient with domain auth.
without netbios ?

more explanations :

I've 2 machines : PDC (acting as PDC and WINS server)
                  MATISSE (as ROLE_DOMAIN_MEMBER)

MATISSE joined the domain without problem

with those parameters on MATISSE:
[global]
        workgroup = LINUXVIRT
        security = DOMAIN
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        smb ports = 445
        disable netbios = no
        name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
        wins server = 192.168.140.22

when I perfrom a smbclient it seems to work :
[root at matisse ~]# smbclient -L matisse  -W linuxvirt -U root%install
Domain=[LINUXVIRT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        public          Disk      Public Stuff
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.0.25b-2.fc7)
        PSC_1400_series Printer   HP PSC 1400 Foomatic/hpijs
        root            Disk      Home Directories
Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 (Connection refused)
Connection to matisse failed
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

now when I modify the disable netbios parameter to yes :
 disable netbios = yes

the smbclient command fails :

[root at matisse ~]# smbclient -L matisse  -W linuxvirt -U root%install
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

maybe this is completely normal, but then does it mean that I couldn't
use domain auth if I don't use netbios ?

doing the smblcient anonymously it also seems to work :
[root at matisse ~]# smbclient -L matisse  -W linuxvirt
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[LINUXVIRT] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-2.fc7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        public          Disk      Public Stuff
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server Version
3.0.25b-2.fc7)
        PSC_1400_series Printer   HP PSC 1400 Foomatic/hpijs
Error connecting to 127.0.0.1 (Connection refused)
Connection to matisse failed
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

I also tested it forcing the use of lmhosts :

[root at matisse ~]# smbclient -L matisse -R lmhosts -W linuxvirt -U root%
xensmbd1 -d 3
lp_load: refreshing parameters
Initialising global parameters
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/etc/samba/smb.conf"
Processing section "[global]"
added interface ip=157.193.44.188 bcast=157.193.44.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=192.168.140.1 bcast=192.168.140.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=192.168.122.1 bcast=192.168.122.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Client started (version 3.0.25b-2.fc7).
Connecting to 127.0.0.1 at port 445
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=58)
got OID=1 3 6 1 4 1 311 2 2 10
got principal=NONE
Got challenge flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60898215
NTLMSSP: Set final flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
NTLMSSP Sign/Seal - Initialising with flags:
Got NTLMSSP neg_flags=0x60088215
SPNEGO login failed: No logon servers
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

Could somebody inform me on this point ?

Thx in advance

Fred.