[Samba] mac osx charset on linux

Rian Orie rian.orie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 08:55:31 GMT 2007

Hey there,

After searching for quite some time I'm finally just going to ask the people
who know :)

I'm having trouble when listing the files on a samba share that's hosted on
a Mac OS X 10.4 server. The client is an Kubuntu Dapper Linux machine.

This happens only when using smbmount (smbfs) and not when I use Konqueror
with smb:// . The problem is that files with certain characters in it don't
get displayed, namely the bullet character.. Resulting in this kind of
output when doing a "ls -Al" on the commandline in the mounted share:

?--------- ? ?    ?       ?                ?
?--------- ? ?    ?       ?                ?
?--------- ? ?    ?       ?                ?
?--------- ? ?    ?       ?                ?

I've toyed around with defining charsets in the fstab share but either I
didn't find the right combination or that just doesn't work. The server has
unix-charset set to MAC-UTF-8 but because a bunch of mac clients have to
connect to it as well I'm not too eager to change that.. but if anyone has a
suggestion I can at least give it a try and see if it affects the mac
clients.

If anyone has an idea I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
-Rian