[Samba] ridiculous slow gigabit transfer, faster with VNC

Mark Baily mark16829 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 00:11:48 GMT 2007

I've now put a D-LINK DGE-530T in both the win32 desktop and the
opensolaris desktop. Both large pings and samba are working.

With the DGE-530T in the win32 and the realtek in the opensolaris,
large  pings worked but samba was still 63mins estimated to transfer a
1G file. With the inbuilt Marvel Yukon in the win32 and the DGE-530T
in opensolaris large pings did not work but samba did work (25 sec).

With the DGE-530T in both, both large pings and samba work fine.

My lesson in this is to avoid any NIC built-in to the motherboard and
use a seperate high-quality NIC card.