[Samba] RE: Getting owner of files on Mounted Windows Share (3rdattempt)

Mickey Smith speedcracker at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 20 01:34:09 GMT 2007

Hi Adam,

at first:
I think you're not able to write any files or create a new directory in the
mentioned share through smbfs-mount.
To correct this you have to use the following mount-command:
mount -t smbfs -o
username=<USERNAME>,workgroup=<WORKGROUP,fmask=666,dmask=777
//winserver/winpath /mnt/win
For further information of the commands "fmask" and "dmask" take a look at
the manpages (man mount.smbfs).

2nd:
It is normal that you can't see the original windows owner/group of the
files/directories like you would by mount a windows share on a windows
client.
I have'nt setup a Linux-client in the past to that way to see the full
permission list of a remote-windows-share, but I think you have to do this
with CIFS (see man pages "man mount.cifs") and CIFS POSIX extensions
compiled into the Linux-kernel.
But this would not be everything.
The next step would be to resolve SID's to Usernames, eg.
To do this you have to setup the linux-client with the winbind service,
configuring nsswitch.conf, eg.
This task is'nt easy, I think.
Perhaps you will find a solution by searching the net.

By the way you should take a look into the basics how share- and NTFS/ACL
permissions interact:
http://www.mcmcse.com/microsoft/guides/ntfs_and_share_permissions.shtml
So it is a little bit easier to derive how that windows-permission-stuff in
comparsion with linux access permissions work.

Regards,
Michael