[Samba] Very slow access to large files

Eric Shuman erics at ameri-title.com
Thu Jul 19 23:08:19 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am having a problem accessing very large files through my samba shares
after upgrading my file server to Debian Etch (Samba 3.0.24) from Debian
Sarge (Samba ???).

When trying to open a very large (> 2G) MrSid image in ArcGIS what use to
take about 10 seconds now takes over 30 minutes.  Smaller files (< 2G) still
seem to open fairly quickly.   I can also copy the large file back and forth
from the server relatively quickly and I can open the file from a local
drive with out a problem.  I have tried various files of different sizes and
the problem only arises when opening > 2 Gig files.

Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this behavior?

Thanks for the help!

~Eric