[Samba] odd "Not listening on called name behavior"

Matthew Easton v-vi at trugschluss.org
Thu Jul 19 15:33:02 GMT 2007

After migrating from RHEL 3 to Fedora Core 6

I get the following error message repeatedly

  libsmb/cliconnect.c:cli_start_connection(1445)  session request to
*SMBSERVER failed (Not listening on called name) : 15 Time(s)

What is *SMBSERVER?  I don't have anything with that name on the
network.

  libsmb/cliconnect.c:cli_start_connection(1445)  session request to
DSARABIA-WKS failed (Not listening on called name) : 2 Time(s)
  libsmb/cliconnect.c:cli_start_connection(1445)  session request to
WKS-035 failed (Not listening on called name) : 13 Time(s)

In smb.conf I have

    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.192.0/24
    hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
    interfaces = eth0 lo
    bind interfaces only = yes

The two workstations DSARABIA-WKS and WKS-035 are both members of the
domain and have valid IP addresses on the subnet.  They have
statically defined leases in DHCP. The only thing I can figure is
that they lose their IP address on every reboot, and then try to
connect to the server by broadcast before they get an address.

Is that even possible?