[Samba] samba roaming profile

Felipe Augusto van de Wiel felipe at paranacidade.org.br
Thu Jul 19 14:45:44 GMT 2007

Lukasz Szybalski wrote, On 18-07-2007 13:13:
[...]

	Profiles are sort of ninja magic, sometimes it works,
sometimes it doesn't and as the documentation says, it can be
the heaven for some people and the hell for others. BTW, did
you check the "Desktop Profile Management" in Samba HOWTO?

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/ProfileMgmt.html

> [profiles]
> comment = Network PRofiles Share
> path = /home/samba/profiles
> #read only = No
> #store dos attributes = Yes
> #create mask = 0600
> #directory  mask = 0700
> #browseable = no
> #guest ok = no
> #printable = no
> writable = yes

	Here is an example of profiles that we used for
quite some time on our company:

[Profiles]
    path = /srv/samba/profiles
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    read only = no
    profile acls = yes
    csc policy = disable
    create mode = 0600
    directory mode = 0700

> [profiles]
> admin users = newuser2
>
> This means that newuser2 can act root.
> In my profile I get another folder created automatically only for newuser2
> 1. Why is the folder created only for newuser2 and not newuser?
>
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root       newuser2 4096 2007-07-18 09:20 newuser2

	Sounds related to the permissions.

> 2. Why is the /home/samba/profiles/newuser2 empty? It is not filled
> with roaming profile after I logging  out of windows XP?

	That can be a WinXP problem. If for some reason, your
user and/or workstation has any setup to act as a local profile,
then it wouldn't upload anything to the server.

	Local policies can be modified to force only local
profiles, you can also change some settings on how your roaming
profile works.

> I log in to newuser:
> cannot load a  roaming profile, loading your local profile
> cannot locate local profile
>
> I log in to newuser2:
> cannot locate roaming profile on server
>
> 3. How do I make the roaming profile working. It is the case that
> setting up the users and adding logon path, logon home, profiles to
> smb.conf is not enough?
> What else needs to be done?

	'logon path' and 'logon home' are used by different
clients, sometimes (and specially for XP) you need the
'csc policy' option.

	Hope this helps.
	Kind regards,
- --