[Samba] 3.0.25b-1.1.72-1411 - copy from and to the same samba share

Franz Sirl Franz.Sirl-kernel at lauterbach.com
Thu Jul 19 11:33:58 GMT 2007

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 04:01:45PM +0200, Franz Sirl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can confirm that a re-build of the current SUSE 3.0.25b RPMs plus
>> today's diff between SAMBA_3_0_RELEASE and SAMBA_3_0_25 fixes the
>> strange file corruption problem I was seeing with LIB.EXE from
>> VisualStudio6 working on a Samba share. Though this was already true
>> with yesterdays diff, but didn't work with a diff from last week.
>
> Great - thanks for the update. I'm hoping I've now got this
> right for 3.0.25c.

Sorry, but I have to take back my words, partly at least :-( .

Today the corruption problem was back when I compiled our SW on a samba
share. Now this got me really confused, because yesterday I did the
"gmake clean all" procedure for our SW at least a dozen times, and
everytime it was OK. But today already on the first try linking would
bail out because LIB.EXE generated a corrupted library.
What the heck I thought, why does it fail again. As a first measure I
rebuilt samba with todays additional fix to locking.c, but this didn't
change anything. Then, as a preparation to run a tcpdump, I looked at
the smbd process responsible for my share with lsof. Hmm, I wondered,
why does it use "netbios-ssn" as a local port, my PC is running uptodate
WXPSP2 (german, without IE7), shouldn't it use "microsoft-ds" then?

Ok, disconnected and reconnected the share, and sure enough the
connection to the share would use "microsoft-ds" now. Restarted the
build of our SW, and voila! everything is fine now and the SW builds
until the end.

So this corruption only happens for "netbios-ssn"/port 139 connections
now (? not sure about this, but I can try with original 3.0.25b too if
you want), but with "microsoft-ds"/port 445 connections all works like a
charm.
Is this enough information for you or do you want me to do some smbd
debug and/or tcpdump debugging?

Franz.