[Samba] smbmount Permission Denied

Server Gremlin servergremlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:20:22 GMT 2007

Chris Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Server Gremlin wrote:
>
>> What....?  I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, 7.04
>> Desktop Version) and nothing of the sort appears anywhere in the man page.
>>

> Nothing I can do about that.
>
> Although it hasn't been a secret that smbfs has been, at best, "out of
> fashion" for a long time.
>

>> I tried mount -t cifs, and that mounted the filesystem with the server's
>> uid and gid numbers.  Anything owned by root on the server shows up as
>> root when I mount it on the client, though I can't change anything.
>> Everything owned by something other than root on the server shows up as
>> random numbers.  The uid= and gid= parameters are being ignored, so I
>> can't change the ownership to anything that my local workstation user
>> can work with.  Any suggestions?
>>

> Does the server support the  CIFS  Unix Extensions?
>
> man mount.cifs
>
> maybe peek at "noperm"

Thanks, that finally did it.  I've finally managed to mount the smb/cifs
share on a local mount point by adding something like the following line
to my fstab:

//servername/sharename   /local/mountpoint   cifs
exec,credentials=/path/to/myfile,noperm   0   0

I have a few lingering questions if anyone could please help me out.

1)  The man page for mount.cifs seems to imply that using "noperm"
allows anyone logged into my workstation to mess with my files.  This is
fine for me because I'm the only one with a login on this workstation,
but this really seems like an awful solution under any other
circumstances.  Isn't there a better way to do what I want...?  (Just to
reiterate:  I have an SMB/CIFS share on a  Linux Samba Server that I
want to mount locally on a Linux workstation.)

2)  What are CIFS Unix Extensions?  I Googled and Wikipedia'ed around
and found little...  sounds like they're a part of Samba that makes
Samba return uid and gid information from the server's filesystem to the
client.  If that's so, why in the world would I ever want to do this?

Thanks very much for your help,
- SG