[Samba] smbmount Permission Denied

Server Gremlin servergremlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:49:02 GMT 2007

Chris Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 July 2007, Server Gremlin wrote:
>
>> When I mount the share
>> with smbmount using the exact same credentials, I mysteriously can't
>> write to it.  I get "Permission Denied".  Can someone please clue me in
>> to what could be so different about smbmount?
>>

> man smbmount
>
> Maybe this:
>
> "WARNING:  smbmount  is deprecated and not maintained any longer.  mount.cifs
> (mount -t cifs) should be used instead of smbmount."
>
> Chris

What....?  I'm running the latest version of Ubuntu (Feisty Fawn, 7.04
Desktop Version) and nothing of the sort appears anywhere in the man page.

I tried mount -t cifs, and that mounted the filesystem with the server's
uid and gid numbers.  Anything owned by root on the server shows up as
root when I mount it on the client, though I can't change anything.
Everything owned by something other than root on the server shows up as
random numbers.  The uid= and gid= parameters are being ignored, so I
can't change the ownership to anything that my local workstation user
can work with.  Any suggestions?