[Samba] Re: samba Digest, Vol 55, Issue 18

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 18 14:07:24 GMT 2007

What's wrong with WARLOCK?
Just kidding. If you don't like it, change it, but do expect problems.
It's not something you will find a recipee for in a How-to book.

The SETLOCALSID changes only the LOCAL SID, not the
GLOBAL SID, for which we would probably need SETGLOBALSID.

When I faced the same problem, I did something really wrong
but it worked. I copy-pasted the LOCAL SID to the GLOBAL SID
in "secrets.tdb".

Now in your case, it would probably be even easier to just think up
a new 7-letter word to overwrite the current name in both "smb.conf"
and "secrets.tdb".

Unfortunately WARLOCK is also tatooed in several places in each
client's registry. Hopefully, pasting over the new name with a .reg script
will obviate the need to re-join the domain. Try it out, when there is no
one to disturb. Back up "/etc/samba" and "/var/lock/samba" with smb
and nmb stopped so that you can back out of it if necessary.