[Samba] Problems since upgrade from 3.0.23 to 3.0.25b

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 18:24:11 GMT 2007

On 7/16/07, Jason Baker <jbaker at glastender.com> wrote:
> I have a working Samba PDC, I can log in and out from a windows xp
> workstation. I recently upgraded to 3.0.25b-33 and now, when I add a new
> user, I get:
>
>     The system cannot log you on due to the following error:
>     A device attached to the system is not fuctioning
>     Please try again or consult your system administrator
>
> I have network connectivity. I was able to join this machine to the
> domain through windows xp. I can log on to the domain from this machine
> with an existing user. All file and directory permissions are correct:
>
> If I run the smbclient command I get:
>
>     session setup failed: NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS

I believe that means that samba could not find the PDC via name resolution.

> Samba is indeed running. If I run smbclient with an existing user I get:
> I found this entry in the domain controllers samba log:
>
>     [2007/07/16 13:55:13, 5]
>     rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_net_sam_logon_internal(934)
>       _net_sam_logon: check_password returned status NT_STATUS_OK
>     [2007/07/16 13:55:13, 1]
>     rpc_server/srv_netlog_nt.c:_net_sam_logon_internal(1004)
>       _net_sam_logon: user GLASTENDERNET\jrolfe has user sid
>     S-1-5-21-3568796296-2565465778-716510536-3404
>        but group sid S-1-5-21-1194936901-2368177035-684874509-513.
>       The conflicting domain portions are not supported for NETLOGON calls

This is saying that your user and group have confilcting sids because
they should share the same base sid as everything else on the domain.
To fix this you need to go through your ldap database and make sure
that all sids have the same base.

John