[Samba] can smb.conf help create users homedirs by group?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 20:53:10 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I am in the process of moving our schools student file server to Samba
from Win2k3 and I want to replicate the setup we currently have which
puts students home directories under their graduation year like this:

\students\2008\username

Under AD students are in OU's based on grad year.

We're using winbind (with idmap_rid tdb) to pull users and groups from
AD, 'getent groups' will give me the groups which each student belongs
to so I am hoping Samba can use that info to dynamically (i.e "on the
fly") create homedir that have paths based on group membership.

In the past (on other projects) we've used the global setting
"template homedir = " in conjunction with the pam_mkhome dir tool to
do something similar but it doesn't look like that "template homedir
=" can get information about groups.

How would folks suggest I go about this?

Thanks for your advice!

John