[Samba] smbpasswd problem on Solaris-10

Ole Benner olb at netic.dk
Wed Jul 11 11:41:29 GMT 2007

I have compiled both samba-3.0.25a and samba-3.0.25b and with both I
have problems setting user password longer than 8 chars with smbpasswd.
I get no errors, but if I try to set a password with more than 8 chars
the password will only be generated using the first 8 chars.

This is on Solaris-10 update 3 on amd64 and I have compiled samba using
Sun Studio 11 compiler suite and no other options to configure than
--prefix=/some/path.

Solaris-10 comes with samba 3.0.21b preinstalled and if I use smbpasswd
from that installation there is no problems and the smaba-3.0.25(a/b)
version works alright with >8 chars passwd once it is set.

This looks like some 32/64 bit bug or similar.

--
Mvh
Ole Benner