[Samba] Is the term 'home dir' and 'roaming profiles' different?

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Wed Jul 11 06:58:40 GMT 2007

Hello,
I've just been exploring Samba again after some time, and this time I'm
setting a Samba PDC with LDAP. Thanks for great tutorial from Samba website,
I think I got it working fine :)

However, I've been browsing the list too, and am a bit confused with the
term: 'homedir' and 'roaming profiles'. Is it different? If I'm not mistaken,
homedir is for Win9X only?

When my XP client logon to the Samba PDC, it automatically "mount" drive X:
and then when he logoffs, his Xp profile will be copied
to /var/lib/samba/profiles/username

However, the /var/lib/samba/profiles/username directory is not created
automatically, I have to create it by hand. Now, in the list archive a lot of
people were asking how to make the creation of homedir to be automatic, do
their questions and solutions apply to the creation of 'roaming profile dir'
too?

Thank you very much.

PS. This is my smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = pluto.com
netbios name = ubuntu
os level = 33
preferred master = yes
enable privileges = yes
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
wins support = yes
dns proxy = no
name resolve order = wins bcast hosts
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
log level = 3
max log size = 1000
syslog only = no
syslog = 3
security = user
encrypt passwords = true
ldap passwd sync = yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://ubuntu.pluto.com/
ldap admin dn ="uid=ubuntu,cn=admins,cn=ubuntu"
ldap suffix = dc=pluto,dc=com
ldap group suffix = ou=groups
ldap user suffix = ou=people
ldap machine suffix = ou=machines
obey pam restrictions = no
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUnix\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUnix\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully*
domain logons = yes
logon path = \\ubuntu.pluto.com\profiles\%U
logon home = \\ubuntu.pluto.com\profiles\%U
logon drive = X:
logon script = scripts\logon.bat
add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos "" %u
add machine script
= /usr/sbin/adduser --shell /bin/false --disabled-password --no-create-home --quiet --gecos "machine
account" --force-badname %u
Machine -s /sbin/nologin -M %m$
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
domain master = yes
local master = yes
show add printer wizard = yes
printing = cups
printer admin = root

[homes]
comment = Home directories
browseable = no
read only = no
valid users = %S

[netlogon]
comment = Network logon service
path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
guest ok = yes
locking = no

[profiles]
comment = User profiles
path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
read only = no
profile acls = yes

[profdata]
comment = Profile data share
path = /var/lib/samba/profdata
read only = no
profile acls = yes

[printers]
comment = All printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = yes
writable = no

[print$]
comment = Printer drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = no

[music]
comment = kumpulan music
path = /opt/music
read only = no

http://linux2.arinet.org
1:46pm up 5:38, 2.6.18.2-34-default GNU/Linux