[Samba] Purpose of Browse Lists if you have WINS

Edmundo Valle Neto edmundo.valle at terra.com.br
Tue Jul 10 22:25:58 GMT 2007

Adam Tauno Williams escreveu:
>> 	What are the point of Browse Lists if you have a WINS server?  Unless
>> I'm mistaken, Browse Lists and WINS servers both serve the same purpose:
>> to resolve NetBIOS names to IP addresses.  So in a Windows Domain, if I
>> have a WINS server, why do I even bother messing with Browse Lists?
>> 	I'm kind of new to Windows Domains and I'm also new to Samba (in any
>> capacity more complicated than simple SMB file sharing) so I'm trying to
>> understand some of these basic concepts and would really appreciate any
>> help.
>>

> This seems like more of a general Windows network administration
> question;  with little specificly to do with Samba.  You'll probably get
> a better response in a Windows networking forum.

I doubt, here is a better place to ask. :P

You can take a look at the samba docs, it has an entire chapter about
how browsing works:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html

> TIP:  If you want to avoid using browsing, etc... you can set the
> NetBIOS note type of your workstations either in the registry or via
> DHCP.

Node types defines the way the client register and resolve NetBIOS names.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B160177&x=15&y=10

Regards.

Edmundo Valle Neto