[Samba] winbind + samba limits with large AD?

Ralf Gross Ralf-Lists at ralfgross.de
Tue Jul 10 21:33:24 GMT 2007

Michael Adam schrieb:

> I assume that you are using "security = ads" and I assume that
> your AD setup has groups with lots of members?

Yes, that's right.

> This is a known problem then that has been fixed in current
> samba (SAMBA_3_2 as of today): The ads version of the function
> lookup_groupmem (used to retrieve the members of a given group)
> showed poor performance on large groups. I recently improved
> the performance of this call (starting with svn revisions r23070
> and r23072). This is in SAMBA_3_2 and in SAMBA_3_2_0, so it will
> be in the next release (3.2.0).

Ok.

> There is no way to improve the performance significantly with
> 3.0.24 (except patching). So I suggest that you grab the latest
> sources with svn (see http://www.samba.org/samba/devel/), you
> can also get the upcoming release branch SAMBA_3_2_0 here) or
> get the unpacked sources with rsync like so:
> "rsync -avSH samba.org::ftp/pub/unpacked/samba_3_2/ ./samba_3_2"
> and then compile it yourself.

I can't use rsync or cvs from office. It seems that svnweb which is
mentioned in the howto is not working anymore.

http://svnanon.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/compiling.html#id442180

I can't reach http://svnweb.samba.org/. Is there another way to get
the 3_2 release by svn/http?

> The reason why lookup_groupmem gets used in "ls -l" at all is
> that the getgrgid library call is used to resolve the gids into
> names, and this call returns not only the name but the whole
> group structure, including the list of members.
>
> So to confirm my assumptions above, you could compare the
> runtime of "ls -l" to that of "ls -ln": The latter should be
> much faster!

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to get the source and compile it. This
might take some time. BTW: wbinfo also wasn't working right and
winbindd was not responding after issuing that command.

Ralf