[Samba] Winbind join with different domains

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:45:21 GMT 2007

Hi all:

We have an existing AD domain with about 500 windows systems in it.
Our AD domain, EECS.AD.WSU.EDU, is different than our DNS domain:
eecs.wsu.edu.  We do have the DNS mappings for AD set up properly
(actually, the domain controllers manage them), and all windows ->
windows stuff works great.

I am now trying to join a samba system so it can be the printserver to
windows systems with domain authentication.  When I try and join it, I
get:

Using short domain name -- EECS
Failed to set servicePrincipalNames. Please ensure that
the DNS domain of this server matches the AD domain,
Or rejoin with using Domain Admin credentials.

I have attempted both with my personal domain admin account and with
the domain admin account with no difference.

Some time ago (1.5-2yrs ago), I succeeded doing this, and the domain
layout was the same then as now.  As I recall, I joined the same way
then, and "it just worked".

How do I do it now?  Changing domains to make them match is not an
option at this time.

Thanks!
--Jim
kusznir at eecs.wsu.edu