R: [Samba] AD domain membership problem

Gianluca Culot gianlucaculot at dmsware.com
Tue Jul 10 07:23:54 GMT 2007

Hello Steve

I've reported similar problems to the list but never got an hint.
I've solved a much similar issue making
Samb Server a Wins Server and forcing it to solve hostnames against DNS
Of course the server is equiped with a dns server too ;)

Here is an excerpt of my configuration file
#smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = DMSWARE
        Wins support = yes
        dns proxy = yes
        #name resolve order = host wins bcast
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
        local master = yes
        #domain master = yes
        domain master = no
        preferred master = auto
        enhanced browsing = yes
        #encrypt password = yes         # YES = Default

Be aware this doesn't solve all the issues with a firewall
Net rpc testjoin only works if you specify -S <servername> attribute.

Looks like Samba falls on BCAST with some commands, ignoring every over name
solving mechanism

Hope this helps
Gianluca