[Samba] Connection problem with 3.0.25a [solved]

Darin derwood at naebunny.net
Fri Jul 6 23:28:17 GMT 2007

I found a solution for this, but I don't understand why this made a
difference.

First, here's output from testparm:

testparm
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
Processing section "[backup2$]"
Processing section "[backup$]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
        workgroup = MYNET
        server string = Backup Server
        security = SHARE
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        dns proxy = No

[backup2$]
        path = /archive
        read only = No
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

[backup$]
        path = /archive
        read only = No
        guest only = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

There are two differences between the shares listed above.  One
difference is the name.  The other difference is that the backup$ share
has been mapped as a network drive in Windows XP since Samba 3.0.5.  The
backup2$ share was the only one that was accessible however.
If I try clicking on the mapped network drive, or browsing through net
work neighborhood to \\nfs1\backup$ I get the following: "Y:\ refers to
a location that is unavailable.  It could be on a hard drive on this
computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly
inserted, or that you are connected to the internet or your network, and
then try again.  If it still cannot be located, the information might
have been moved to a different location."
If I browse to \\nfs1\backup2$, I connect just fine.  A newly mapped
drive letter to backup2 works fine also.  So, I've removed the backup$
share from the config and I'm going around to different machines
updating the mappings.
Also, if I took the source code for 3.0.24 and compiled it and put it in
place of 3.0.25 or 3.0.25a, then the backup$ share would start working
again.
Anyone have any ideas why or what happened????

BTW, fiddling with MSDFS settings did no good.

Darin -