[Samba] Promoting BDC to PDC

Ivan Ordonez iordonez at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 5 19:56:33 GMT 2007

Hi,

Does someone know how will all my client machines find the BDC when
the PDC is stopped. Both PDC and BDC are running Samba with LDAPSAM
backend replicated on both the PDC with master LDAP database and BDC
with replicated LDAP database. But when I stop PDC the clients are
not detecting the BDC broadcast. The replication on all domain
controllers are perfect.  I went as far as making BDC the new PDC by
doing the following on smb.conf.  There's actually a little success
when I did this.

         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes

I was able to login but then could not access the shared drive
running on a member server.  I made sure that the smb.conf file on
the member server that contains all the shared drive is set to:

"Password Server = new PDC hostname"

Any idea of where I may be wrong?  I guess to make it short, how can
I promote a BDC to a PDC, if in case the PDC crashed.  I want to make
sure that if I promote one of the BDC to PDC, that all my user can
still login and access shared files.

We have 4 machine running samba, 3 with LDAP backend (PDC, 2 BDC) and
1 machine as fileserver or member server only and used for filesharing.

Thanks,
-Ivan