[Samba] Excel - share Access Denied after opening file

leonardo616 mike.trotman at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 21:56:13 GMT 2007

I have a strange problem with Excel + Word from an XP Pro (SP2) PC to a
Linux Samba share (HOME).

If I
1 - open Excel,
2 - then open a file on my Samba share HOME,
3 - any subsequent attempts to save or open a file on the HOME share
immediately result in an 'Access Denied' windows error message
as soon as I select the root of the HOME share!

The same thing happens if I open a file from anywhere else 1st.

I am just using Workgroups - no Domains.
The same thing happens if I have Windows simple file sharing enabled or
disabled.

I have tried amending various Samba options (using SWAT).
e.g. 'nt acl support', locking, dos filemode/filetimes.

There are no error messages in my samba logs or Windows Firewall.

All Windows Explorer activities work OK.

I have one other Samba server running on my network - a Linksys NSLU2.
I can successfully access shares on this device when I am denied access
on my HOME share.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this - or how to fix it?

-

SMB.CONF - Samba version 3.0.3-5 - Fedora Core 2
========

[global]
        workgroup = DATAHOME
        netbios name = DMZ
        server string = DMZ Samba Server
        password server = None
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        os level = 33
        preferred master = No
        local master = No
        domain master = No
        dns proxy = No
        ldap ssl = no
        remote announce = 192.168.200.255/DATAHOME
        printer admin = miket
        nt acl support = No
        strict locking = No
        dos filemode = Yes