[Samba] Cannot seem to get printer driver delivery working from Vista 64 bit systems - Samba 3.0.25b

Alan Hodgson ahodgson at simkin.ca
Wed Jul 4 18:17:09 GMT 2007

Version: Samba 3.0.25b
OS: CentOS 5 x86_64

I've had printer driver delivery working OK to 32 bit clients for a while. I
used cupsaddsmb to set that up originally.

We recently added some 64 bit Vista client machines (yay).

I created an x64 directory on the print$ share and followed the Samba HowTo
instructions for finding and uploading a printer driver. The files are from
a Vista 64 bit client that is able to print directly to the printer over
the network.

rpcclient -U root -c 'adddriver "Windows x64" \
  "Dell_Colour_Stationary_Room:PSCRIPT5.DLL:DLUXCN02.PPD:PS5UI.DLL:PSCRIPT.HLP:NULL:RAW:PSCRIPT.NTF,PS_SCHM.GDL"'
\
  localhost

rpcclient -U root  -c \
  'setdriver Dell_Colour_Stationary_Room Dell_Colour_Stationary_Room'
localhost

Both commands complete successfully. The files are all now in print$/x64/3/
and the driver appears in rpcclient enumprinters:

[Windows x64]
Printer Driver Info 1:
        Driver Name: [Dell_Colour_Stationary_Room]

However, when I try to Connect to the printer from the Vista 64 bit machine,
all I get is "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be
completed (error 0x000006f7)".

Any help would be appreciated.

--
"Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for." -- Will Rogers