[Samba] ms office file locking problem

Robert Penz robert.penz at outertech.com
Wed Jul 4 08:53:06 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm running samba 3.0.22 on ubuntu. And I've following problem.

Someone opens a document with MS Office (under WinXP) and has it open for e.g.
30 min and clicks than on the save button. He get sometimes an error message
that the file can not be written. If he clicks on save as and selects the
same filename he can overwrite it and save the file.

I've no special settings concerning locking - all is left to default in the
smb.conf. what to I need to set on the server/client that I get rid of this
problem?

ps: I looked at
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/locking.html but it
does not say: if you have problem a, to b. ;-(

--
Regards,
Robert